Neighborknitter

We're not here for a long time; we're here for a good time.

Tuesday, February 06, 2007

MVP What?

If you missed this- and how could you have done that?- THE COLTS WON! In what was a GRRREAT Superbowl the Indianapolis Colts won 29-17 against the Chicago Bears. Mind you, next year I think the Bears will be even more terrifyingly good, but for now- the Colts are OUR Superbowl champions. And they came home to Indianapolis yesterday and at night in weather that felt like seven degrees had a parade. I love my COLTS!

The Hubba was brilliant. I can't say how I would have behaved, but I'm sure I wouldn't have been anywhere near as good spirited and generous about the outcome as he has been.

But back to the world of knitting! Remember the sock I showed you, in Brooke's fabo yarn?



I tried them on last night...



couldn't get them down my foot and promptly frogged 'em.

HEY- before I get any barely-concealed knitter-smug "did you swatch?" let me say "YES, I SWATCHED." Honestly. I even did a full swatch of 4 inches, when I might have been inclined to only do half that. And, on size 0 DPNs, one size smaller than the pattern called for, I got gauge. As the pattern required, I swatched twenty-four stitches for forty rows=four inches in stockinette stitch.

However. With this pattern and its "stranded stitch" I think I would have done better to, as the Yarn Harlot recommends, swatch in pattern. The pattern is not especially stretchy and with the stranded stitch I think the sock is even more tightly knit- sort of a backwards Fair Isle.

Point to say, I started over, on size 1 DPNs. If we hadn't had Jack Bauer in Season 3 to watch at the time I'm not sure what I would have done. But, somehow, frogging my socks paled in comparison to going rogue, busting a known drug-lord out of prison, sneaking said drug-lord back into Mexico, and nearly having to kill his own partner. Just a regular hour in the life of a bad man.

2 Comments:

Blogger Renee said...

I recently saw a Knitty Gritty episode and the guest mentioned that stranded stitches can cause your work to become less stretchy! In the words of Ed McMahon to Johnny Carson: "You are correct!"

12:53 PM  
Blogger Little Fire said...

oh man! that is such bad luck bout your sockies, and they looked so bootiful too. breath and reboot, that's what I say. I've been trying to start this same sweater since I got the pattern at Christmas and have already frogged it once and NOW think I need to again as I am knitting the wrong size for me. it's my own fault for substituting yarn thats a different gauge :)

I have to say I loooooove to knit to the West Wing and Sex and the City...oh that show :) and Grey's Anatomy, so I'm afraid that 24 would just tip me over the edge into another 'must follow this show' frenzy. I've already seen an episode and know I would love it. DARN!

8:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home