Neighborknitter

We're not here for a long time; we're here for a good time.

Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Fantastic Beginning

What an amazing start to the week! I opened my email this morning to find the nicest letter from Jo, a participant in the HP KAL. She's had trouble with Blogger (the list grows) but that's not diminished her Harry spirit! Not only is she still following the blog with comments and participating as a House Ghost, she's also sent me lovely ideas for prizes and offered to contribute to it. Isn't that kind?

But it doesn't stop there! My next email was from my new Secret Pal from the Secret Pal 10 Swap. I can already tell she's going to be such a fun pal! And here is what she is looking for from me:

Secret Pal 10 Questionnaire
1. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with? What fibers do you absolutely *not* like? I love working with wool (then, now, and forever), cotton, then blends, then acrylic. I'm not against acrylic, I'm just not lovin' it like the others.

2. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in?
The pockets of my knitting bag :-( , I must get one of those nifty cases!

3. How long have you been knitting & how did you learn? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced? I learned in April of '06 and, as I've knit almost everyday since then, I'd call myself an advanced beginner. Great at socks, still nervous about sweaters type knitter.

4. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?
No, but might make one so will update this answer if I do ;-)

5. What's your favorite scent?
Light clean smells. To give you an idea, (trust me, I know it's odd) I love the smell of "Spring Scented" dryer sheets.

6. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy?
Anything with chocolate, and preferably with nuts too. Snickers, Almond Joy, Nestle Crunch, Reese's Peanut Butter cups, Reese's Pieces, Hershey with Almonds and I've never tried one but have always been intrigued by the Toblerone.

7. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? Do you spin?
Knitting is pretty much it. I do love to cook and bake. I don't spin, but I plan to try dyeing (yarn as opposed to the other kind) this spring.

8. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)
Dave Matthews Band then, now, and forever. Tori Amos, Barenaked Ladies, Coldplay and I just got a Damien Rice CD (O) of which I am awfully fond. Yes to MP3s!

9. What's your favorite color(s)? Any colors you just can't stand?
Blue, to paraphrase Julia, is my signature color. I love pinks, reds, and greens, I'm fond of yellow around me (but can't wear it too well).

10. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?
Married to the phenomenon known as The Hubba four and a half years. I have four (nope, that wasn't a stutter) mixed-breed dogs, Howie, Wally, Barkley, and Georgie.

11. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos?
Scarves, hats, mittens, yes. Ponchos, no. Nothing against the poncho, mind, it's just not a good look for me.

12. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?
Right now socks. I'm trying my first sweater (for said husband). I'm looking to branch out (from socks) and recently tried felting a bag (the French Market Bag from Knitty) for the first time.

13. What are you knitting right now?
A pair of socks (I'm trying to branch out; these things take time), a sweater and I hope to try a lace stole soon.

14. Do you like to receive handmade gifts?
Yes please!

15. Do you prefer straight or circular needles? Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?
I love circs, especially Addis (who doesn't?) and I have a set of Denise needles which are terribly handy. For straight needles and DPNs I like bamboo.

16. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift?
Nope.

17. How old is your oldest UFO?
My Harry Potter scarf, started back in June or July '06. I set a deadline of "in time for the movie" which, if you didn't know (and how could you not?) comes out in July 07. I'm not comfortable with unfinished projects (Virgo, you see) so I do well to have no more than three projects going at a time.

18. What is your favorite holiday?
I love the beach. Love it, love it, love it. And here in middle North Carolina we are centrally located to some of the eastern seaboard's best beaches. Hooray!
*Update
Well, don't I feel silly. I thought holiday such as "where to go for vacation" but reading my to-gift Pal's blog, I think I might have misinterpreted. Hmm... Holiday... Christmas. That was easy.
And I still love the beach.

19. Is there anything that you collect?
Not really (see: Virgo, see: no more than three projects, re: can't stand the clutter). Books might be the only items I collect and I don't look for anything special, that's just being an avid reader (and my books, at the moment, are still in the garage, in boxes, from our move- ask me how crazy that makes me).

20. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on? What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?
I'd love to have Nancy Bush's Knitting on the Road. The only EZ book I have is Knitting without Tears so any of her work would be fab. No magazine subscriptions.

21. Are there any new techniques you'd like to learn?
Magic Loop. I've done a pair of socks toe-up that way and it was such a muddle I'd like to try again with something simpler.

22. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements?
YES! (Sorry, was that loud?) Size: 7 to 7 1/2 shoe (U.S.); foot length: 8 inches; toes: ten.

23. When is your birthday?
August 24, 1980. Two days off from being a playful, easy-going Leo *sigh*.

Hope that helps Pal! If you want more info, lemme know; I'm all about details.

Two people, first thing in the morning, being so generous. Doesn't that just brighten your day? I was smiling all the way to the yarn store.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Little Fire said...

aaww you sweetie, your questionnaire is lovely. Props on your music taste, as a musician I say 'YES!', especially Damien (bigging up the Irish music community)

How was your trip home? Good I hope. I am excited for SP10, since my first experience wasn't really that great. Oh and I just realised, your one year knitting anniversary will be next month?! is that right?! my lord, I have no idea when or what year it would be for me now...when did time begin again? ;)

love and knitting and hugs...

3:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Pal!

I haven't forgotten you, your package will hit the mail this weekend. Just need one more trip to the yarn store today ...

Your round 3 Sock-ret pal.

5:41 AM  
Blogger Ann said...

I loved the way your Anglophile self read "holiday" as "vacation"!

9:25 AM  
Blogger Renee said...

That was really fun to read! Since Knatty Knitter pointed out that your "Knitting Anniversary" is coming up you should celebrate it with a knitting gift to yourself! A subscription perhaps, a needle case, some luxury yarn, etc.

Glad you're back in NC. Hope you had a nice "holiday!"

7:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, this is Leslie (ablossomknits) from the Knitters of Avalon KAL. Brooke told me I should stop on by and say hello so . . . HI! *wave* I hope it's not too late to join in on the HP KAL. I've pre-ordered my book from Amazon.ca because I seem to prefer the UK editions of the HP books. To me, they seem to be a little more adult in their format.

I've also missed out on SP10 . . I'm SO upset!! I just made a comment a little bit ago asking if there will be a SP11 and if I can be added to the notification list, if so. It looks like it will be a lot of fun.

Anyways . . so hello and hi and all that fun kinda stuff. :D I hope you don't mind if I add you to my Bloglines feed. Feel free to stop on by my blog or I'll see you around the MoA KAL. :)

6:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home