Neighborknitter

We're not here for a long time; we're here for a good time.

Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Bass-Ackwards

First post of the New Year and, hardly surprising, in true Neighbor Knitter fashion, we're starting off backwards! Knitting backwards that is. Much in the same way Disney's Merlin aged backwards, I've reverted from socks and fingerless gloves to scarves. And not just any kind of scarf: garter-stitch scarves! I've been moved to it. Three scarves in a matter of a week. I went from these, a pair of Vols socks for my Dad at Christmas:



to this:



A plainly knit, long, skinny scarf done with Berroco's Boho yarn. The other two scarves went to Renee, our delightful hostess in Charleston, as Christmas presents (hence, no pics), but they brought me no end of easy knitting joy. It was a kinder, gentler return to knitting after my pre-holiday frenzy and my Christmas hiatus. These scarves, with their size 15 needles, their 10 stitches cast-on, and easy knit stitch construction, have guided me back to The Hubba's Christmas socks (also done from Vols yarn) on their size 2 DPNs with 70 stitches cast-on and their knit two, purl two pattern and heel turn. It shows, I think, getting back to the basics can really recharge the exhausted knitter- much like a spa for the hands, minus the tootling panpipes soundtrack and need to tip.

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Garter stitch rocks! Regression can be a good thing now and then :) Lovely socks, by the way! They would match Eli's Vols onesie he's wearing right now :)

I am soooooo thrilled you are reading The Mists of Avalon!!! That is one of my all-time faves!! Have you read it before? Can you tell I'm excited?! :) Regarding my speed-reading- I really don't- I started the book mid-December because I was looking for something new to read and that's about the time I joined the Knit the Classics KAL, soooo...there's my secret to my success :P

8:13 AM  
Blogger Ann said...

Recharging the crafting batteries is always a good thing. It often involves going back to some basic, quick, brainless projects that just make you feel real good about creating!
Hooray for garter stitch scarves!

Glad y'all are back and on my "first call for LB watching" duty!

Also getting very Harry excited. The Books-A-Million at the mall has a sign on the door now about Book 7.

JK!!!! Please hurry!!!!
(but don't compromise your quality)

9:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't you just love quick easy projects. LOL maybe I should try knitting on bigger needles sometime, I just might get some sweaters done for myself. LOL

Hugs!!!!!

10:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HEllo, hello...watch me as I sneak round the door, hoping noone noticed my absence...naughty Pari is back in town and has been enjoying catching up with everyone so much!! HOw are you love? Good I hope. Hope Christmas was fab and your New Year brings you everything you've wished for. I've missed all my bloggy friends so much. Home has been great but hardly any knitting which is not cool, now that I can finally knit for myself. Yeay for you and the garter scarfs, nothing like getting back to nature to make you feel alive. And they look lovely. I've decided that complicated is not better, EVER, so I might join you with a big of garter stitch sometime soon. Let me know all the gossip that I've missed...I feel like I should be meeting you for coffee and a catch-up ;)

Parisa xx

12:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home