Neighborknitter

We're not here for a long time; we're here for a good time.

Saturday, December 09, 2006

F.O.B. #16: Put on your Shakespeare Thinking Caps

Good cold Saturday morning to everyone out there! Firstly, did anyone see the feature on Yahoo! this morning? It reads- wait for it- "Knitting is Cool." Finally- Finally- after twenty-six years skimming the edges- FINALLY I'm in with the popular crowd.

Ahem.

Today's an important blog and I ask, if you only participate in one F.O.B. this year, let it be this one.

Ya'll, (this is how I spell it Yoda; it's how I roll) the Yoda family needs our help. They are weeks away from a new addition to the family and a name is not yet decided upon. And I think Willy was great with his "what's in a name?" but I also think we can agree a young'un's future can be severely altered if kids are calling him/her "Bart the Fart" or "Millie the Silly" or whatever cruel things children say to each other. We know you can't throw around names like Shannon for a boy or Noah, unless you feel chances are the good the child will grow up to play tight-end for the Denver Broncos or build an ark. I'm also avoiding all the popular-right-now names like Olivia and Emma, because no one wants their child's future CEO to walk into a room and say "Olivia?" only to have eighteen same-aged girls chorus back "Yes?" One final thought, Mr. Yoda prefers males names that be might shortened to one syllable for sports-playing-purposes.

The Yodas don't know the babo's sex so I'm asking for a list of eight girls names and eight boys names to make up our F.O.B. #16 (and if we're very lucky and the docs have missed it, she'll have twins! Wouldn't that be COOL?!) So I give you, my own theory on what makes a good kid's name.

16. Harry. C'mon, you had to see this one coming. Just think about it, Knitty. Harry Yoda. It has a real ring.

15. Alice. Sweet, simple, classic. Also, heroine of a psychedelic kid's story.

14. Jack. Steady, reliable, and already saying "Put me in coach; I'm ready to play- today."

13. Virginia. I know there's no real affiliation to the state, but it's a gaw-jus name. Plus, you get the British spelling of "Ginny" from it.

12. Daniel.

11. Carolyn. "Caro" how great is that?

10. David. Hold on, there are reasons besides the obvious. NOT that the obvious is all that bad.

9. Felicity.

8. Anything from which you derive Gus. Augustus, Angus, Fergus- it's the best shortened name around. Just never Argus. Ever.

7. Catherine, Cate, Kate- any of those versions. You've already got one in the family- ring in the changes, name a child after a female family member! And you know a terrific Cathy! I think it's fate.

6. Lawrence or Laurence. Remember Laurie a.k.a. Teddy? Sigh. But, please, before any decisions are made, see earlier note, re: tight-end for the Denver Broncos.

5. Elizabeth. Yoda, I think you why.

4. Any name from which you can make Eli, including Elliot and Elijah. Yes, a good friend of ours named her son that, but look how fabulous he is! Also, they live in Florida and I do not think Baby Eli and Baby Yoda would mind.

3. Love the lovely Sarah too. It seems to guarantee a blonde-haired, blue-eyed, Bring-It-On cutey. Mind you, she's closer to home so there might be trouble.

2. Rupert. Sigh. Yoda, you know.

1. Purl. And spell it the clever way. Then not only do you knit and are cool, maybe you could pal around with Gwyneth and Madonna, eh?

3 Comments:

Blogger Renee said...

I want to play along! Please read my post and add me to the BAL! Mz. Knotty

2:43 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Em! Your non-stick omelet pan has been haunting me for days now...here's an FYI link for you.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8408729/

Not trying to scare you, but I keep thinking about it and it's driving me nuts! :)

Maybe your omelet pan is not teflon and I'm really overreacting like only a crazy cat lady could... :)

8:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay here we go:
Girls:
Shawn
Sarah
Shannon
Rebecca
Cynthia/Cindy
Lorraine
Boys:
Shaun
Kris hehehe
Christopher
David
Michael
William

Definitely Ann for a middle name.

By the way you are such a sweetie!
Hugs!!!!

11:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home