Neighborknitter

We're not here for a long time; we're here for a good time.

Thursday, November 23, 2006

A Thanksgiving Post in Pictures

Up at the crack of nine.

BREAKFAST!


Plan: Turkey in by 9:30.

Attack turkey.



Why do they call it "Lil' Butterball"? Feel I shouldn't eat it, but put it in a baseball cap and take it to a game.

Turkey Assistant.


Turkey has all orifices stuffed with apples, onions, sage and rosemary, as recommended by Miz Knotty's cookbook:

(Page helpfully marked)

by 10:00. Not too shabby. Turkey instructions say bird should cook for 2 1/2 to 3 hours to reach optimal temperature of 180 degrees. Expecting we shall we be digging into our delicious lunch about 2. Lovely

12:30- Temp check with handy-dandy thermometer. Turkey is 110 degrees.

1:30- Temp check. Turkey is 150 degrees. Remove loose tent of tinfoil.

2:00- Baste turkey, turn up oven, wonder why turkey seems to be taking longer than recommended cook time.

2:35- Temp check (much surly jabbing and glaring at stupid bird. Hard to hear own thoughts over growling tummy). Mother-of-purl the turkey is 176 degrees. 176 DEGREES! $%&*!

4:00- Temp check- I kid you not- 181 degrees. Yes! YES! Hallelujah, we can eat! Except:


I'm getting a glass of wine.

4:45- Dinner.

4:49- Done with dinner.

Or at least it felt that way. It might have been all of twenty minutes before The Hubba and I were kicked back in our seats, staring at near empty plates and groaning slightly with the weight of it all.

We now have the graveyard of Thanksgiving


covered, but still out on the assumption one of us will grow a second stomach and go back for seconds.

After the turkey:


Oh, and there's still pie!

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your dinner looks very tasty! I'm not much of a bird eater my self, but looks as if you did a wonderful job. Just a thought to keep in mind for next year...Crack Shack or to some it may be known as Cracker Barrel. No muss, no fuss, dinner for six that was great for two with wonderful left overs, all for less than $50.00. My hubby, my two dogs and I slept until 10-10:30. You do need to order two hours before picking up dinner. Happy Thanksgiving!

10:04 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Haha!! Looks like it was a success at last! Glad you and the hubba had a nice holiday!

6:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can you please call me 570-3337? The Cable Guy is in need of assistance.:) Thanks

6:18 PM  
Blogger Ann said...

Yummy!
Now you get to feast upon leftovers for the next week! THat is my favorite part of T-day that I don't get to partake in since we go to others' homes for the holidays. I dream of making turkey broths, turkey tetrazini, and just picking it off the bones and eating it while I stand there.
Sigh. Maybe one day I'll be a grown up and cook my own holiday meals. (But by then I'll probably hate it and want to just travel to someone else's house for the food.)

7:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home