Neighborknitter

We're not here for a long time; we're here for a good time.

Thursday, November 16, 2006

Yarn Binge

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination." Oscar Wilde

Alright maybe not a binge to put other crafters to shame, but for me, yesterday was a right feast of yarn. First, and most importantly, a blatant friend reference:

Buy from Brooke! I bought two hanks of sock yarn from her yesterday (both of which will probably- PROBABLY I say- go to my Sockret Pal) and they are a) gorgeous and b) came with a shockingly good discount (of course this could be because I'm such a cool person- what?- why are you laughing?- FINE, probably because Brooke is such a cool person.) Right now she mainly has individual skeins so I can't post shots of my particular beauties as they've come off the shop site, but check her out. Anyone looking to buy Christmas gifts (cough,cough,momsuzhubba) for me (see: cool person) this is a GREAT place to go. Also, check out her blog and the amazing market she'll be attending. Whoo-hoo Brooke! If she were a candidate in some political race I'd give her my full endorsement.

Also, got to visit my fantastic friend Betsy in Pinehurst yesterday and picked up some divine lovelies from Bella Filati in Southern Pines. They aren't kidding on the site, this is a place of luxury yarns. Not a store I could shop everyday (and still afford a house) but so, so worth the occasional trip. And gorgeous just to walk around, see the displays, breathe the rarefied air of Debbie Bliss Cashmere and hand-dyed yarns from Uruguay... The Divine Miss Bets gave me a gift certificate for my birthday which made the shopping even more heavenly- though of course I spent above and beyond. Why do I do that? I swear, if someone gave me a gift certificate for $1,000,000 I'd manage to spend $100,000,020.98 every time. It's my nature. (Also, have to mention how hilarious Betsy was, randomly picking up yarns and saying "Oooo, they're so soft!" or grabbing the sleeves of finished garments on display, saying "Ooo, this would look so great on me!" and lifting her eyebrows in my direction.)





The sock yarn is Liisu Yarns, 75% Superwash, 25% Mohair, color Tequila Sunrise and will one day, when I set my elf hat aside and leave the workshop, be a pair of socks for moi.

The orange balls of heavenly loveliness- ahem- are from Laines du Nord, a yarn seller I've heard of but I don't think I'd seen before (until someone comes up to me and says "you know they sell that at the store you work right at, right? RIGHT?!"). These are 80% Mohair, 20% Polyamid. The smaller, darker divine creature is another sock yarn by Liisu in the color Espresso Bean. Sigh.

I cannot yet tell you what these yarns will make (see: elf hat), but I can tell you this is the most excited I've ever been about one project. Really. For an instant buzz, I look at the patern, yarn held in both hands and am instantly smiling. Though we are on a time frame here (Christmas is only six weeks away!), I won't let myself cast-on until I'm in the perfect environment, pristine, silent, filled with spiritual awe. However, I don't think the Dali Lama will want me spending a few weeks at his crib, so instead I plan to knit only here, at our untidy, noisy, lacking of all awe except sports-oriented fervor home. I'll give updates on this project (Code: Orange, we shall call it), as I think the knitting will be highly interesting (re: challenging, but in a good way) and I want to keep my small, but dedicated and highly international readership informed.

Anyway, I'm off to pile all my yarn on the table and stare at it.

6 Comments:

Blogger Renee said...

And so the stash begins!!! See how easy it is to do?

11:19 AM  
Blogger Sourire11 said...

Nice stash expansion! Yeah I totally do the whole pile up the yarn and stare at it thing... I can't wait to see what you make with the orange balls of heavenly lovliness!

1:16 PM  
Blogger Little Fire said...

Hiya love, so excited to see the yarn you got from Brooke's shop. Just got my paycheck today and you know exactly where I'm going to blow it in a minute ;) I want a stash toooooooooooooooooo

Yeah Frou Frou is the group I was talking about, Imogen Heap was one half of it, then went solo. her solo stuff is in the same vein. SUPER soundtrack (and film), I love it so much, its my car music. I like to travel to it :) Yeah for good music and people knowing about it, was afraid noone in the States would have heard of her.

thank you also for your kind words of support, I don't know about the success part but I definitely have the 'gift of the gab' and can be pretty brazen when a notion takes me. I still cant believe I did that tho :)

1:17 PM  
Blogger Ann said...

I am in love with Brooke's yarns.
Truly.
We need many people to sign up for my stocking ornament class so I can justify buying myself some.

I love to see others amassing a stash.
We must get you a good piece of furniture to store such wonderful goodies in so you forget just how much you have and go out and buy more and more and more!

9:08 PM  
Blogger Little Fire said...

dont ever say that about yourself again!! ofcourse you know what you're talking about. taking about music is really just knowing what you like. I just express those sentiments in a different way cuz I went to school for it. nothing special! most of the time im just winging it anyway :P heehee....dont tell me teachers!!

and I had never heard the royalties story bout the soundtrack, that is so cool. I know a lot of people involved in the film gave there time for free. no wonder its such a cool film, with vibes like that all through it!!

Happy Friday :)
px

6:15 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Haha!! That's right...vote for me and I won't raise taxes...:) Hope you're having a super duper weekend- I'm busy busy busy :) Whew...what did I get myself into? haha!!

12:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home