Neighborknitter

We're not here for a long time; we're here for a good time.

Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Google-Mania

Someone found me through a google search of "fat ankles." I kid you not. Google "fat ankles" and you'll hit on me somewhere around page 8. Who knew?

Speaking of people finding my site, can I just give all my readers in Turkey a shout-out? Thanks for the continuing support! Not sure if you find me on purpose or because in Turkish "neighborknitter" means "perfect chocolate cake recipe" or "free money" or maybe "half-naked women." Either way, it's lovely to feel international!

I've been trying to sort out my yarn stash from taking over our living room and have paired it nicely down to this:




The rest of it is now here:



Or here in my yarn graveyard, waiting to be untangled and rolled into neat balls:



I discovered, the first time we moved, and our realtor told me to give the house a "good deep cleaning" I'm not so much a "deep cleaning" as a "shove it all under the bed or into the closet" type housekeeper. At some point, probably when we have no guest bed left, I'll be forced to sort it out into tidy plastic containers obtained from the Home Depot. That, or else good-bye home office.

I've discovered dozens of half-used and, worse yet, untouched balls of cotton all over the place. I'm dishcloth crazed, what can I say? I've developed a feeling towards my dishcloth cotton like a crack addict* to his crack- er, drugs. I think I don't want anymore, I think I can deny the itch, and then I find myself tossing a few extra balls of cotton into my purchases at my LYS, babbling about other projects, all the while dying to get home, log onto my Mystery Dishcloth KAL and start the newest project in the privacy of home, away from the prying eyes of the socks/sweater/hat knitting public. Maybe not exactly the same kind of addiction (I don't think there's any meetings for us dishcloth knitters), but I think it's clear I don't want to do it, I just can't help myself.

On that note, I think my Mystery Dishcloths are a little like those pictures that were so popular in the early nineties, the ones of thousands of colorful dots that if you do something with your eyes you're supposed to see a motorcycle. Remember those? I never could do it. I'd think I had relaxed my pupils, or whatever was supposed to happen, and instead I was just staring cross-eyed at a picture of dots, with tears of eye-strain starting to slide down my face, ruining my thirteen-year-old bright blue mascara. These dishcloths are the same to me, minus the turquoise Maybelline. So I ask you, are you callin' that a turkey?



'Cause I'm not seein' it.

*Do you think if someone googles "crack addict" "free money" or "half-naked women" they'll get my page? There's concern around Knitter house we're getting the wrong sort of reputation.

8 Comments:

Blogger JCarson said...

Three observations: with all that yarn lying around, you're lucky you have dogs and not cats; yes, I do see the turkey (not like on the dinner table, but a wild turkey in the woods); and finally, Google knows much more about us than Uncle Sam ever will.

7:58 PM  
Blogger Renee said...

I see turkey!

5:40 PM  
Blogger Ranee @ Arabian Knits said...

I'm glad I'm not the only person who tracks how people got to her blog and from whence they hail. I got a hit from someone looking up circumcision once because I mentioned our son's. I've been getting all sorts of readers from Turkey as well, from the Who Wouldn't Love a Handknit Gift? blog. Which is cool, because my husband served there during Desert Storm. I also found out I am referenced on a Czech blog, I have no idea if it was a list of knitting blogs, or of things to mock.

Anyway, I can sort of see the turkey, but I think it looks more like a fat hen, the chicken kind. We have chickens, so I feel like I have enough authority to say that. ;)

5:45 PM  
Blogger Little Fire said...

hhmmm, if I squint reeeeeeeeally hard there is just about a turkey there. Good Work!! Still better than what I could have done :) your yarn stash looks lovely by the way, I'm very jealous ;)

must try dishcloth knitting as you seem to recommend it very highly. what do I need to start, Oh Addicted One?

4:31 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Haha! It's either a turkey or a helmet!! Either way, it's purty darn cool :) I worked through the dishcloth addiction myself and am so glad that I did, because now I have stacks of handmade dishcloths/handtowels that I still ooh and ahh over. I think I've moved into the dishcloth snob phase, where anything less than handknit is no good. I'm off to Google now... ;P

7:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

AAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaa I read your post before I did my cloth LOLOL. Hon I see a nice fat wild turkey. You did good girl!
Shshshsssssshhh I'm the same way with sock yarn and cotton. Oh yeah there is a great pattern for toilet paper cover in the Mason-Dixon ballband pattern. Want it?? huhuhuh????
Huggles!!!

12:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay sweetie, you need more yarn. Yes you do by golly. Next day you are off we are going yarn hopping. You got that sweetie?

12:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I knit a duck one like this before and while I could see it in person, I sure couldn't photograph it!

7:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home