Neighborknitter

We're not here for a long time; we're here for a good time.

Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Just a Ramblin'

A Few Thoughts from My Day (que Contemplative Muzac with chimes and tootling woodwinds...):

1) Lady-bugs are colonizing our home.

2) If you shop at the local Harris-Teeter, probably the shiniest store in Burlington (Slogan: Hey, our mall might only have a Goody's, Gold's Gym, and a bunch of stores with signs cobbled together from cardboard and puff paint BUT we've got a brand spankin' new Harris Teeter flagship store!) where I shop (The Teet, The Hubba calls it) bring an I-Pod! Or some headphones! Or a pack, really, a whole herd, of noisy children! Believe me! You cannot help but want some form of deafness due to the jingle playing in the meat section of the store. This catchy ditty permeates all of the deli, most of the fruits and vegetables section, and quite a few aisles and it can drive you MAD. I won't repeat the lyrics here, in case you shop at this particular Teet, because if I did, it will be the only thing you ever hear. Suffice it to say, the boy singing loves Harris Teeter, can think of no better place to be than Harris Teeter and is a little bewildered by the fact anyone ever leaves Harris Teeter. He tells you this overandoverandoverandoverandoverandover. My I-Pod is my last line of defense. While other shoppers are clutching their heads from that chipper feller's toneless tune, I'm merrily grooving away to a little DMB cover of "All Along the Watchtower."

3) My favorite part of the grocery store experience is the check-out. I tend to choose the longest line for more time to peruse "Us Weekly" and "People." I would never buy these magazines, but I will shamelessly find the most interesting cover and skim through it while waiting. Of course, when my turn comes I do the quick "oh who cares" shuffle of hastily finding the right rack, thrusting the magazine back in place, while inadvertently covering up "O the Magazine" and then nervously smoothing down the little tear I just made in the front cover, hoping the sixteen-year-old ringing me up doesn't notice. "Sorry, sorry," I say with my eyerolls. "I never read these things! I meant to grab Time but I don't see that up here..." Truly, give me "US Weekly" with Reese, Angelina, Madonna, or Jennifer (any of the Jens) and a cover story about how she just bought a New House/Small African Country/Small African Boy/Husband, pop open a can of Diet Coke and tear into a box of Cheez-Its and I might never leave The Teet. I might start singing the jingle.

4) (This one's for the ladies) I really did enjoy the latest remake of "Pride and Prejudice." While I don't think you can beat the Jennifer Ehle-Colin Firth version, if you don't have six hours to give over to a film, than the Keira Knightley newest adaptation on DVD is an excellent substitute. The feller-me-lad playing Darcy in this latest version- his walking through the field at dawn in the long coat gives Colin in the wet-white shirt scene a run for his money. Faaawww. Do you think Jane heard the sweeping score in her head when she was writing the book?

5) I've planned a lot of Christmas knitting. Oh well, it's only Nov 1st. Christmas is AGES away.

6) They're plotting.

7) When Miz Knotty gets her pictures up, then you'll see a Lady Bug with Attitude.

8) "All a-long the wat-ch tow-er, the wiiind begins to... HOOOOOWWWWWLLLLL."

As you can see, it's been a bit quiet around here, yet I can still write on and on and on. It just proves, you can't stop the really chatty, you can only flip to another blog long before you ever reach this line.

1 Comments:

Blogger Megan said...

Way back when, when I lived in the dorms, there was an infestation of Asian Beetle ladybug-imitators, which are really nasty (they bite, they stink, etc), and one girl fought back with her vacuum. Of course, once they were all inside, she couldn't figure out how to get them out, since it was a hand-held model.

Thanks for the comment, also way back when, on the cardigan I finished. I gave it as a way early Christmas gift, and it's already been worn at least four times.

12:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home