Neighborknitter

We're not here for a long time; we're here for a good time.

Thursday, March 22, 2007

Socks on a Plane

Put your sunglasses on, because you ain't going home till the morning comes. Frank Sinatra

You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on. Dean Martin

I gotta be me. Sammy Davis Jr

I like to play blackjack. I'm not addicted to gambling, I'm addicted to sitting in a semi-circle. Mitch Hedberg

I wanted to set a mood for the day, but there is a shocking lack of quotes about gambling or Las Vegas. The quotes I could find were grim morality tales about the dangers of betting and the shallow insidiouness of Vegas- Hello Buzz Kill! So I picked the Rat Pack because they are (even dead) Vegas and that last quote because that is me. 21! Hit me!

The Hubba and I have already observed a few pre-Vegas traditions. We watched Ocean's Eleven (the new yummy George Clooney version) last night, we had drinks with dinner and we played poker, with The Hubba offering good tips about "the big blind" "the small blind" and "Em, stop saying 'whoo-hoo!' when you get a good hand." I am prepared.

The only place I'm not prepared is the question of my knitting. I meant to throw out the universal knitter's query (second only to "should I frog it?") "can I take my knitting needles on a plane?" I meant to ask, I meant to call the airline, I meant to have a backup plan if I couldn't. Instead I've decided, to hell with it, better to ask forgivness than permission and just try to get the needles on there. You can bet I'll be pulled aside for a good search, being five three, reddish-blondish, mid-twenties and foolishly grin-y. I already scream "threat!" so I'm expecting security sees my size 0 double-pointeds and I'm getting hauled off for questioning. Unfortunately I'm down to the wire on finishing my Sockret Pal's socks in time to get out her last package before the end of March so it's a chance I'll have to take.

There might be blogging from Vegas. The Hubba, who refuses to carry the camera (three guesses on who he expects will carry it), is convinced we're going to take so many pictures we'll need the laptop to upload shots and free up memory on the camera. If the laptop does make it on board, then expect blogging.

I'm. So. Excited. The bummer about late flights- the whole day in front of us! Oh well...

Viva Las Vegas!

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

How's my dollar doing in Vegas? What daya mean you spent it all in one place? Wait until you see what I did at the yarn shop...made a sell for $64,718.33 to The Nail Doctor...she maybe your new boss, I think I sold the shop.:0 I could have used one more lesson on that machine.

2:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have fun goofy girl!! Come home a millionaire and buy us all yarn...from Portugal :) Bring wooden needles and it should be no problem. I use these on planes and bring an extra piece of thread to drop the stitches on if they absolutely flat out say "No way." That way, I don't lose my work. Oh, and you're not the only one furiously racing the end of the month on the Sock-ret Pal socks...heehee...oops ;) Have fun and be safe! No hookers...

10:29 AM  
Blogger Ann said...

Look forward to hearing how it went!
I bet there would be a good quote from Sammy and Dean in Cannonball Run.
Maybe I'll rent that sometime. It's a goodie.

Hope they let you knit on the plane. You'd whiz through those things in no time on a plane.

9:59 AM  
Blogger Little Fire said...

hope it is all goig swimmingly in Vegas...super cool man!! oh yeah and if you bring bamboo/wooden needles with you on the plane security don't seem to mind. I have never had them taken off me and I fly international so I am sure it would be fine nationally. I think they must look like pencils in the xray machine :)

may I also echo Brookes sentiments...get rich and buy us all yarn, yum! er, we're friends with you for your personality tho, promise ;)

4:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home