Neighborknitter

We're not here for a long time; we're here for a good time.

Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Lifting, Unpacking, Wishing

I'm not sure how it happened, but somehow, in the middle of moving, with a trip just around the corner (Hello Virginia!), trying to find a job (me) and looking for any semblance of life outside the last few things just listed, I have developed a fixation.

Maybe it's come from all the yarn I've discovered in various places- not just in the huge box where I thought it was assembled, but in several cute boxes that I vaguely remember buying for such a purpose, but have no recollection of filling, in hatboxes, in numerous totes- lots and lots of hanks of yarn. Maybe it's due to my brain's inability to focus on the stacks and stacks of boxes around me. Maybe it's due to my fingers feeling more than a little dry from the cotton I've been knitting. I couldn't pinpoint the start of said desire, but it's come on fast and it's come on strong.

People, I want me a ball winder. Not just any ball winder- this ball winder. Nothing fancy, nothing big, I'm not even asking for the swift (yet) to go with it- no big deal. Except throw in lots of guilt over just moved/trip coming/still trying to find a job and the little pointer hovers over KnitPicks "Checkout" button.

And here's why I need it (this always come next, right? the justification for the fixation): I have all these hanks of yarn! Not nice, easy center-pull balls of yarn- hanks of it. Which leads to this feeling of knitting impotence. Drawers, hatboxes, storage boxes of fiber I can't knit because it's all in the wrong form. How, how, how to make those hanks into nice neat center-pulls?

So enters the ball winder. Remember Medusa from The Rescuers? That's me. I. Want. That. Win-der.

Hmph. Well, back to unpacking for now. But don't think this is over.

3 Comments:

Blogger Jo at Celtic Memory Yarns said...

I have sympathy, Em. I'm still winding centre-pull balls by hand. Used to use a nostepinne, but now find it as quick to wind around my thumb. But one of these days I'll get me a winder too...

You're going to Virginia? Tell me more. It's a place I've always wanted to visit.

9:42 AM  
Blogger Anna said...

I want a ball winder too. They aren't generally for sale in Australia (unless you buy one off Ebay or from an op (thrift) shop). My LYS says they are going to stock them soon! (Even if its only one choice...) And swifts too. Erin really needs a swift (I am her human swift). I wish I could get a KP one - they look really nice - but they don't ship to Australia.

10:53 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

How cool are you? SO verrrrry cool, I say, for mentioning The Rescuers!!

I met a nice boy over here on this side of the mountains, and we're going to be attending some UT games in the Fall...and methinks you and the hubba should join us :) Any chance of that? *pretty please with sugar on top* It will be my first time, and I need guidance from a UT pro, such as yourself! lol!

8:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home