Neighborknitter

We're not here for a long time; we're here for a good time.

Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Technical Difficulties

Well, I've had a wee bit of an unexpected surprise this week regarding my lovely Apple laptop. Have I ever mentioned, I lurv my laptop? I LURV it. It is one of my top three possessions (ranked in with my I-Pod and my Dyson vacuum). It is small and lightweight, low-maintenance, it never gets sick, it is incredibly hardy- it is the perfect machine.

And then it stopped working. After performing what seemed to be a routine update, it stopped. It just stopped. It pretended to work when it turned on, making the little opening note sound (which, I swear on all things holy, is the first few chords of "Live and Let Die"), it appeared to power up and then... nothing. A blank screen.

Apple is a little weird, in that when you buy the computer, if you want customer service, you have to pay for it. You buy a warranty and the customer service is included in that. It sounds dodgy, but here's why it's great: you never wait more than a couple of minutes to get a technician, they are easy to understand, and they do not let you off the phone until the problem is solved. I LURV my Apple. (Also, it forces fools like me, though they've experienced valuable items breaking in a far too short period of time, who say "who needs a warranty?" to get one. It is, The Hubba assured me, and damn if he's not right, a small price for a great thing.)

So I whipped out my handy-dandy Apple Care Protection Plan and gave them a ring. Possibly the most mellow technician EVER took my call and after a while of fiddle-faddling around, we discovered a clue. Under "Disk Utilities" it said System Failing.

I pointed out to my cool dude technician, this did not sound promising. About ten agonizing seconds later, he agreed, no, no, it did not. Another fifteen to twenty seconds later, he said, no, it was, in fact, very, very bad.

However- I have Apple Care Protection- which is very cool, he added (I kid you not)- and so am entitled to take that laptop to the nearest Apple store and have them send it back to the mothership, where they will replace my hard drive and (!) any other parts that might need it. Was there, he paused to ask, anything on the hard drive I would want to save?

Once my heart started back up, I assured him, as calmly as I could, yes there was a lot I wanted to get off the hard drive. No problem, no problem, at the store let them know and they'll back it up for me and send me home with a handy-dandy CD of all my work.

I summoned the courage to ask, how long until I get my computer back? Somewhere in the world, a woman was able to give birth in the time it took my cool dude to say "Five... to... ten..." Please don't say weeks, please don't say weeks, I mentally chanted. "... days."

So there's the story told, in about a tenth of the time it took to act it out. I have an appointment to take my laptop in tomorrow, have everything pulled off (we hope, we hope, dear God we hope) and then leave my little darling in the hands of some very laid back fellows, to be returned, like new, to me in... five... to... ten... days.

I expect to post between now and then, but I warn you: The desktop? Where I'm writing now? It's all the way upstairs.

And it's a Dell.

So I'm not making any promises.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh I so feel for you. I've been thinking of getting an Apple OMG did you hear that silence LOL. I thought in order to break in I'd head to the UNC Surplus store and see what they had. I have been so fearful of laptop failure that I recently backed up all my pictures and writings. Oooooo must be something in the air....

Huggles!!!

11:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,

I hope all is going well for you and yours. Our smocking group is meeting June 18th at Front Street United Methodist Church. Call me if you need directions 570-3337. We would love for you to join us. The meeting starts at 7pm. Come to the back door and one of us will be there to meet and greet you. Someone will be at the door until 7:15pm, if you should come after that time call me on my cell phone 516-3935 and I’m come down and lead you in.

June is our Community Service Project Month and we have chosen knitted or crochet hats and scarves for the homeless. We hope to have a nice number of items by the fall to donate. I am offering some of my stash to use in the making of these items. All you need to do is bring your needles and a desire to knit and chat a little. I have patterns that you can knit in the round or straight and then sew up the edge. The yarn determines needle size as you know, and my donated yarns have a range from 7,8,9 and even a few that would take a 10. Bring your needles and we’ll try to match you up with the perfect yarn.

I do hope you can come. Cindy Jones is planning to join us and I hope to gather our “knitting group”. It will be so nice to see everyone and “catch up”.



Please pass this on to anyone that you think would be interested in joining us.



Thank you and I look forward to seeing you soon.



Blessings,

Linda Wagoner

9:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home