Neighborknitter

We're not here for a long time; we're here for a good time.

Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Finishing School

I've decided to call this my Week of Finishing. Yes, it's starting on a Tuesday but it has to start somewhere, right? In honor of last week, when I finished my book-cue wild, slightly hysterical laughter- I thought it would be the perfect time to apply the same idea to my knitting. Not quite as extreme though. Last week, I barricaded myself in our house and did not: chat on the phone, email, blog (you might have noticed), grocery shop, or clean. It was, as I was telling Knitty Yoda and Miz Knotty, a bit desperate towards the end of the week (think Ramen noodles lunches and a single roll of toilet paper split between three bathrooms). But it worked and I finished. We went home to Knoxville for Mother's Day, which was great, exhausting, and a good time for all involved. So today is my first opportunity to right the severe imbalance set in our lives last week- more toilet paper being a good start, I think.
Taking stock of my UFOs, I've come up with:

1) my Harry Potter scarf (seven and a half feet long sans fringe- it's alright if you've got scarf-envy) that needs to be seamed together and have fringe added,



2) a baby hat from the leftover baby blanket (did I show you the baby blanket?)





3) a lace stole which really ends when I decide or I run out of yarn




4) a sweater for The Hubba, with its rather shapeless, "feed me, Seymour" quality, which I will either a) make great inroads into or b) frog entirely and find a new, simple sweater pattern that requires less of my personal "adjustments" and uses a worsted weight yarn



5) a garter-stitch scarf I started this weekend for my grandmother (who turns 87 on May 20th).



The plan? I will finish one item each day and, in the case of the pile of sweater, make a decision one way or the other. And it turns out, starting Tuesday, with five days left in the week (I rest on Sundays), is perfect timing as I have five projects. Perfectly planned, eh? Much like the Charmin. We never ran out.



Perhaps posting that last picture is a sign I've been out of society a little too long, huh?

Labels: , , , ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

10:30 AM  
Blogger Little Fire said...

it is so good to hear from you and know that you are well and happy. when are we all going to get to read excerpts of the book? I am very excited. And your finishing idea RULES!! I need a week of that, very much so. Might nick your idea :) I am so tired I haven't posted in ages BUT I have so many photos to put up from graduation. very excited! btw, do you know when Brooke gets back? I am still so jealous of her going home... :)

2:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love Your knitting !!! But MOST IMPORTANTLY....THE BOOK !!! Please let me know when I can purchase a copy :):)...I just know it is going to be a BEST SELLER!!!!

9:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was wondering what happened to you. Love all the work you've done.
Hugs!!!

10:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home