Neighborknitter

We're not here for a long time; we're here for a good time.

Monday, October 23, 2006

Brainless in Burlington...

(Warning: This post has no interesting pictures, no knitting progress, nothing in fact about knitting except a little tale regarding a Magic Loop Sock Class, a Life-Lesson, and a very frustrated and humiliated Me. This is, in fact, a fairly self-indulgent post and if no one ever reads it that will be fine. If you are looking for knitting pictures, discussions of projects or thoughts on pattern details I recommend you click on through to your next knitting blog destination. Thank you for your time and cooperation.)

"What a splendid head, yet no brain." Aesop

The class: last Saturday, twelve to two, run by Knitty Yoda. The theory: we would learn to knit two socks- at once!- on a pair of 40 inch Addis from the toe-up. I have mentioned before, I was excited about this class. I was already touting to the rest of the world this would be THE Knitting Socks method to end all Knitting Socks methods. I was ready.

I started with this:



and ended with this:



I am not, it turns out, up to Magic Loop Socks just yet. I am not, it would seem, skilled enough to start such a project. I am not, at least I hope, always going to feel quite so stupid as I did on Saturday.

I could not even work out the cast-on. THE CAST-ON, folks. The starting point, the jumping-off, the invisible cast-on I could not get. It was not pretty. I didn't write about it Saturday, which was good, because the screen would be tear-stained, probably filled with misspelled words and lots of slurs against Addis and socks and even, holiest of holies, Elizabeth Zimmermann and her invisible cast-on description. The class went a little something like this:

Hour 1: We've just begun, we're all smiling nervously at each other, Addis poised, ready to figure this out and get going.
Hour 2: We have all worked out the cast-on and gotten started. I am proud of myself, knitting along, following the directions to "Repeat Rows 4 and 5" and I am smiling, you guessed it, smugly. Until Knitty Yoda realizes I have not repeated Rows 4 and 5 I have repeated Rows 1 and 2. And now it all has to come out and I have to start over.
Hour 2 and a Half: My brain is jelly, I cannot figure out the cast-on. Knitty Yoda can get me started but then the whole thing falls apart the minute she puts her attention on another student.
Hour 3: (yes, in our two hour class there is an hour three) I have still not gotten going again. The other students are now knitting ferociously.
Hour 3 and a Half: I am a moron.

That is the best description I can give you. It was not good. No amount of Knitty Yoda's encouragement or the struggle of other students could take away the sting. Either you've been the dummy of the class or not and I can't tell you what it's like except to say AWFUL. At least I handled it well by coming home, snapping at The Hubba, ignoring the dogs, and eating my weight's worth in peanuts.

So it took a little time to remind myself why I'm knitting exactly. Because I'm not knitting to get it right every single time. I'm not knitting to always know what's coming and never be challenged. I'm not knitting to be the best (whatever that is) or impress anyone or for any other reason than to learn, and get better, and stay interested and be challenged. But it took some time, ya'll, it took some time. It took digging deep, it took a lot of peanuts, it took a UT victory, and it took apologizing to The Hubba who was fairly patient with me, to get to that point. Because for a while I was convinced I was stupid. No, not stupid, too dumb to be trusted with a light-bulb and a lamp, that's how I felt.

I realize most people reading this (that small, dedicated band) either don't knit or have been doing it so long you use one hand, blind-folded, while drinking heavily and never make the tiniest mistake. So really this part of our post is directed to other new knitters (anyone?), other people who have managed to knit together some impressive little projects and forget it all in the face of empty Addis and unused sock yarn or whatever your Achilles' heel might be. It was as close as I could get to being back in school and facing an algebra/geometry/biology/chemistry book and all of my very bright friends have mastered the project and moved on and I am sitting there, exhausted and empty, all the words on the page mushing into one thought: "I wish I was in English class."

Anyone have any thoughts on this subject? Anyone ever not felt up to par? Anyone ever not picked something up right off the bat? Any words of wisdom? Anyone else ever sat in a three and a half hour class with exactly what you came in with to show for it? Anyone? Anyone have any suggestions to send me back into next week's follow-up class?

Here's how I've motivated myself thus far, Positive Encouragement for the Knitter by the Knitter. I am new to knitting. I am trying. Every new skill takes time to learn. I am moving at my own pace, no one else's. This was a big project to take on, and I'll go back next week even if this:



is still all I have to show.

And there's always double pointed needles.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

OH Sweetie it happens it really does. I felt the same exact way knit night when for the life of me I could not get or even read the ending of the diagonal scarf. I felt the total fool. I was so extremely happy that the light finally lit as I was leaving. If there wasn't so many people there I would have danced and sang LOL. Believe the bulb will light it always does, just DON'T GIVE UP. :::shaking Em by the shoulders::: :::giving Em a great big {{{{{HUG}}}}}:::

2:13 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Oh man...well, you're a braver person than I am to even try using that new-fangled contraption. My vote will always be for the DPN's, because they don't make me feel retarded...Good advice from Cat- don't give up. Embrace the stupidity :) Just think how great you'll feel when you get the hang of it. Then you can lord it over me until I get up the courage to try it myself, ...now there's some inspiration *grin*
We're back from TN- missing it-
...and I'm glad you could appreciate the humor in my photo for the blogspot- you hit the nail on the head- circa 1985!! Heeey BA-beey!!haha!!

4:33 PM  
Blogger Ann said...

I think I know a writer who should learn to tell the WHOLE story! Especially the part where the instructor completely blew you off (what a jerk!) and didn't help you much at all, because she knew that she could teach you faster on your own at a later time. She didn't even give you a quarter of the time that she gave the others!
We will make up for that this week.
You will learn to toe-up magic loop two at once your socks very soon.
C'mon, you gonna doubt Knitty Yoda?
:)

8:04 PM  
Blogger Emily said...

Hey, that's my Knitty Yoda you're talking about there!
Also, I didn't mention, in the post, that at one point Knitty Yoda was puzzling over a very strange mistake another student made and said, in a very Jedi voice, "I have to think" and closed her eyes in an intense, thoughtful manner. I honestly thought she might levitate.
Any-hoo, Yoda's too kind, but I won't hand over the blame. It wasn't the class, it was a misfiring in my synapses or some such technical language. We'll hope I do better come Wednesday.

9:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Sockret Pal, sorry about the lack of correspondence. I have had a lot of things happening, some it is suprises for you. I'll send it as soon as possible. I have to get just the perfect secrets for the package, so maybe you'll forgive me for it being a little late.

The knitting experience you had seemed bad, but I still don't do the fancy tricks like that because I can knit faster sometimes doing it the way you do -dpns! Sorry that you had to go through that though. Just keep going and with your will power, you'll do it. It sounds like your husband is very supportive. I hope this will help, I am kind of flying blind and don't want you hurt more, so keep it up and you will succeed with your will power!

If I am going to make a sock worth its value, I need these measurements: your instep, length of foot, toe (from top of big toe to the place it connects with the foot) and ankle. Thanks for that information, I hate to send something that didn't fit you. What is really important to me is that you like the colors I make the sock in - what colors would you like? I'll try my best to get colors as close to the ones you like as possible.

How are your days going? I would guess that you have a lot of friends there in North Carolina. You seem so knowledgeable about so many things. I bet it is from your enjoyment in reading. I had a teacher in high school that expected a book report every two weeks and my science and math teachers were about as good in giving massive assignments. My English teacher also included books for the week be a certain weight rather than some fun reading or mysteries. Guess that would instill me yet with moments that say you don't HAVE TO READ NOW. I have gotten over that except when it comes to where the sewing and knitting people who put lovely pictures in so I need to read minimally. I can't imagine where that high school stuff came from other than to say I could have lost a love for reading.

I bet the picture with the football stadium fills you with good memories. It is great to have those kind of memories. I think I have your email addy somewhere, but I put a new browser into my computer and I have lost some things. If you could send it and the home address again, I would appreciate it greatly.

Have a good week and I'll be sending a surprise soon. My pal is sending my first sometime around the first week in November. She seems to want to shop at a Festival. I said forget the surprise, just let me go to the Festival with you. Nice of her to let me know when it would come. I will do the same. As you know, I am not good with my writing either, I wonder if that has something to do with that same teacher? Oh well, that is what life deals you sometimes. The last thing I want to do is make excuses. I need help in that area.

Remember to send me the measurements so I can make the best socks possible that you will love!

Your Sockret Pal

7:48 PM  
Blogger Stephanie Jean-Louis said...

Don't feel stupid! When I took the class to knit socks on 2 circs, I was the student who couldn't keep up, couldn't get it, fell behind and was mortified. I have never been THAT student in my entire life! Oh well, live and learn :) I have almost mastered the skill on my own . . . BTW, what is that yarn you're using on the DPNs?! I love the color combo!

9:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Re: sockret pal
Hey you are welcome to use my name and adress and to throw her off if you want. Also you could throw in varied family members to make it more confusing. Using their addresses and all. Email me if you want my digits for your swapping pleasure.

11:38 AM  
Blogger Erica said...

All too often I feel incredibly stupid when I am figuring something out. Or better yet, the feeling one has when they do figure it out and then think "why am I such a moron that I didn't figure it out sooner...." I will give you this though, I knit socks with 2 circs because I haven't even attempted the magic loop and because I can't start ANYTHING with dpn's. Can't do it. Can't stand the ladder that always forms. I can use them fine when finishing a hat... but not socks. Never socks. So you've got that going for you... :)

2:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home