Neighborknitter

We're not here for a long time; we're here for a good time.

Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Get Your Yarn On

"I don't think necessity is the mother of invention - invention, in my opinion, arises directly from idleness, possibly also from laziness. To save oneself trouble." Agatha Christie

Finally a little Knews about Knitting.

I think we're going to need a drumroll to start, please. Bum-bum-bah-buuuuummm... Or is that the sound the horns make in cartoons when the king walks into the crowd? Either way, may I present...



Real and in living color. I was so proud of these babies I wore them all day at the yarn store yesterday no matter how hot my feet got.

With the socks finished and not being a knitter with eight others on my needles to turn to, I've had to strike out and find new projects. Which are as follows:


My Mystery Dishcloth KAL, which for once, I'm finally knitting in time with the group. My luck, thus far, with their Two-Surprise-Patterns-A-Month has not been ideal. I joined in June? July? and I've finished exactly one of their projects I believe. Projects started? Seven or eight dozen. I don't care if the math doesn't add up, that's what it feels like. Yet something always happened- a dropped stitch, a mangled pattern due to a a tendency to watch "House" while knitting said project (eyes to pattern on laptop, eyes to Hugh Laurie's face, few minutes thinking "Gar, he's cute," few more moments thinking "Wonder why he uses an American accent?", back to the laptop, "line, um, nine, was it?", back to Hugh Laurie, "Faaw, he's cute" and repeat until a truly wrecked pattern emerges- maybe I will finish a cloth one of these days and then send in the pattern as the "Hugh Laurie's adorable even without the British accent" pattern), a few days where I get behind then see the finished project and say "that's boring" and rip it out. Point is, and I realize we're pretty far from it at the moment, this dishcloth is sailing along and even a few moments of "Studio 60" and Matthew Perry's precious self didn't distract me from Day Three's directions.

Also, these, which while I won't say what they will be or for whom, I will say this is some Christmas yarn, pre-Christmas gift knit:


It's hard to see how deliciously soft it is. I won't mention what kind, I'll leave it to you hardcore knitters to work out, but isn't the color too Grape Ape-ish?

Finally, what I'm really excited about and might even start today as time permits, these from the Knitty Summer issue. (A brief word on Knitty- I didn't notice this when I saved their page in my Bookmarks back in spring, but it actually saved the homepage for the Spring Issue. Which nearly drove me crazy because I would get on other knitters' blogs and read about new Knitty projects they were doing from the Knitty Summer Issue and in near tears I would cry "What SUMMER ISSUE?" Only when I logged on to Knitty from a foreign, i.e. one not in my home, not a computer in another country, did I discover the Knitty Fall Issue and realize I needed to peruse the old issues and found the Summer Issue. Point is, not that user-friendly, People who Manage Knitty!) Anyway. I'll be using this yarn and these needles:

and trying cables for the first time. Awfully exciting.

Ta-DAH! There's my yarn news. And at some point, hopefully, this non-traveling weekend, I'll get my lazy, knittin' fingers up and figure out how to add Blogs I'm Reading, and KAL's I'm participating in (check out Knitty Yoda's Monster Along for October), and other such interesting news to the Sidebar of my blog. Mebbe.

And, by the by, if my tiny readership out there really wants to see some bull-riding pics of The Hubba, I'm gonna need a LOT more enthusiasm. At this point it seems only Knitty Yoda cares. So You-Who-Read- the four of you? three of you? Dad?- are gonna have to comment. Otherwise, I'm just emailing Yoda the pics and the rest of you will NEVER KNOW how funny a grown, 30-year-old, non-bull-riding man looks on a bucking mechanical beast. Though, you can probably guess, slightly intoxicated is one way to describe it.

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

OK, I give...Even though I don't know the man, I just have to see the bull-riding pics!! They just sound to good to miss!

Love your socks!! I know what you mean by wearing socks all day even though your feet are hot. ;P

hugs,
one of your 4 readers, besides your dad!! :)

8:25 AM  
Blogger Ann said...

I look forward to seeing the fingerless gloves in progress.
The socks look great! COngratulations!!!
I can't wait to see the pics of your bullrider!
(by any chance, did you take a whirl on the bull also? Maybe I'll have to call Hubba and find out if there are any incriminating pictures of you from the evening. ;) )

10:08 AM  
Blogger Renee said...

PICS!! PICS!! PICS!! PICS!!

Mr. Knotty's 30th birthday was something to remember as well. Involved falling asleep on the couch with a piece of bread on his chest.

I am dying to know what the d-lish purple yarn is for. Gorg!!!

I have signed up for the Blue Blog's Holiday KAL, perhaps you and Knitty Yoda would too?

Love the socks! Beautiful!

Need to find time to blob myself. Not enough free hands or hours in the day!

11:07 AM  
Blogger JCarson said...

I have known hubba to aim for the bullseye; I've known him to shoot the bull; I have listened to him bull****; and I have heard him brag about the Bulls. Never, however, have I seen him ride the bull.

So I cast my vote for the pic- posting of Matt and the bull.

3:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home