Neighborknitter

We're not here for a long time; we're here for a good time.

Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Rock 'Em, Sock 'Em

"I base my fashion taste on what doesn't itch." Gilda Radner



One done and only a few tears nearly shed or curse words used. This sock has gone well. Did have a brief moment of frustration this afternoon when I went to finish the toe with the recommended Kitchner stitch (named after a former British Prime Minister do we think? One with, perhaps, a secret, but undeniable desire to knit?). Here I discovered the only part of my brain that might be described as meticulous involves the reading of instructions. I take it seriously.

Without all the detail let's say there were two knitting needles and one blunt needle involved and every time I was told to do something with "a needle" I considered hunting down the pattern writer and assaulting her with any/all needles in my possession. Barring that, I had thrust all knitting back into my bag, intending to drag it to Knit Night tomorrow and beg/badger/plead until Mrs. Knotty talked me through the toe.

Luckily, Knitty Yoda happened to call at that exact moment (on an entirely different matter; I honestly thought she was intuiting my problem in Yoda-fashion and instead of "hello" would start the conversation with "When it says 'take the needle' that means use your top knitting needle and...") and talked me through the issue. In the end, I had a sock, and not just any sock, but a sock with a finished toe. I realize the body looks a little out of a proportion. It's chicken-and-egg, is-the-cuff-too-small-or-the-body-too-big and I've decided after a lot of thought and consideration... TO LIVE WITH IT. Sorry to shout.



Also, (and this is a shout-out to my sock-knittin' homies, or at least the nice womens' blogs I read who knit socks) I must say it IS really hard to take a picture of your own foot. Really. It involves yoga moves, hanging head upside down, and frankly there's just nothing dignified about it. And just so you know everything is as per usual here, I had the sock on for nearly a full minute and it's already furry.

1 Comments:

Blogger Ann said...

THe picture of your foot wearing the sock looks quite good! No fat foot pose syndrome or anklitis!
Congratulations on the finished product.
I hope to finish my socks up on our trip.
Thank you again for my latte!

7:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home