Neighborknitter

We're not here for a long time; we're here for a good time.

Friday, September 15, 2006

A Day at the Pond

When green is all there is to be
It could make you wonder why, but why wonder why
Wonder, I am green and it'll do fine, it's beautiful
And I think it's what I want to be. Kermit the Frog, "It's Not Easy Being Green."

Any knitters reading this page right now are cringing, I bet. They know where all this amphibious talk will lead. Believe me, I tried not to do it. I tried, in fact, to totally ignore my error. My tiny, barely noticeable error. Only through the assistance of an instructor at the shop yesterday ("oo, pretty yarn... oh- what happened to the foot?") did I realize the huge, glaring mistake I made for the majority of the foot: twisted stitches leading to a purled effect, the exact opposite of the knit look I was going for. Ya'll, this was no Harry Potter scarf.

I tried to only rip it partially, to save the tricky heel turn or the simple, but time-consuming knit 2, purl 2 cuff. No going, people. Dropped stitches, twisted stitches, DPNs sticking out every which way- it looked like my pathetic attempt to administer acupuncture. Come to think of it, acupuncture might have been more useful.

Yesterday afternoon, as the gloom finally cleared and the sun came out, I frogged the entire sock. Everything but the slipknot.
So what did look like this:


Now looks like this:

(Blurry due to tears)

Upside: By the time I've finished this sock, I will be an expert at this "Super Easy Sock" pattern. A #$%&*!@ expert.

2 Comments:

Blogger Renee said...

I don't know a single one of us who hasn't done that 100 times or more. Remember the "Dress that NEVER ends?" I had 1/2 the back worked more than 2 times and I frogged the whole thing! The bolero I'm making to go over it has risen from the ashes on more than 3 occasions. They are what make you an "experienced" knitter. Love the Kermit ref. I have the book you quoted from. The title says it all, especially for the new knitter. But if it were easy, everyone would do it without learning what you already know.

12:21 PM  
Blogger Ann said...

Ditto to what Renee has said. We all frog over and over many times. It's all a part of it. It's also what makes knitting great. You can ALWAYS go back and do it over.

10:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home