Neighborknitter

We're not here for a long time; we're here for a good time.

Friday, October 19, 2007

Women Who Run with the Pigskin

There was an incident at work yesterday. An incident which set me to thinking about this idea of women+football= joke punchline.

Brandon, an easy-going, jovial fellow I work with, appeared to be a football-following kind of guy and I asked if he had any recommendations for a good bar where one could watch the NFL on Sundays. During the course of the conversation I asked who he cheered for and he said, "The Indianapolis Colts." And I, thrilled, put both hands up in the air, ready for the double-five, and said "Give it up for the Colts!"

To which he responded, "How long have you been a fan? Or are you like all those women who just like Peyton Manning in the commercials?"

I was shocked. SHOCKED. "Colts fan since '98," I shot back. "Indianapolis takes Peyton Manning as the first pick of the NFL draft. University of Tennessee graduate. I was there when we went three and thirteen. I was there during the Jim Moira 'playoffs? playoffs? you're talkin' about playoff?' years!"

Brandon thawed instantly and our conversation ended with him giving me a promising suggestion for a good place to watch games. Yet it got me to thinking (and this is never a good thing)...

He didn't say "Are you one of those fans who just like Peyton Manning in the commercials?" He said women. What is this attitude about women and football?

I like football. No, scratch that, I love football. I do. I don't watch it to keep my husband happy. I'm not in it for the funny commercials, the t-shirts and ball caps. I own my own jersey (two of 'em, both Manning, one Vols jersey #16 and of course, Indy #18). During the week, I hum the Monday Night Football theme music all the time.

More proof? I think what the Chargers did to Marty Schottenheimer was shoddy. I haven't made my mind up about Tiki Barber and the Giants; it feels like a loyalty versus honesty debate to me. I think Ed Hochuli and Mike Carey are the best head refs in the NFL (I also love Ed's arms and any opportunity for him to point out who has possession of the ball makes me happy. But you know what? Men have a whole host of eye-candy; they're called cheerleaders.) I believe in the Madden curse and every time Vince Young takes a hard hit, I worry about him (though I don't care for the Titans owner Bud Adams; he's a bit too Jerry Jones for me).

College football? I'm amazed that SFU is second in the country (though I'm pretty sure they lost last night). As a Vols fan, I've been defending Coach Fulmer for the last three years, but now I'm thinking it's time to turn over the reigns. I hope the SEC doesn't destroy itself (like so many previous years) and all teams end up with at least two losses. I wonder if John David Booty will be able to finish this season strong (and I love the fact he was interviewed on ESPN and admitted to doing Pilates to strengthen his "core." New agey and hard-hitting- what a combo!).

OK, I can't play call. I can't look at the offense's formation and say "Slant right to the outside somethingsomethingsomething." I might say "Manning puts it up top to Harrison" but frankly, if you're Peyton Manning and you've got Marvin Harrison, that's just good business sense. I pay attention when The Hubba explains nuances of the play calls or the cover-two defense the Bears run, but I'll probably never understand it the way he does.

And in real life, I'm no Sporty Spice. I'm not athletic and my only brush with playing football came in high school, during a powder puff game, when I grabbed at the girl's flag and accidentally pulled her shorts down. I felt awful and volunteered to cheer from the sidelines for the rest of the game.

But I do recognize pass interference. I know when the little blue flag goes down it means change of possession. I get how a challenge works and I understand the difference between one-foot in college versus both-feet in the pros.
How many men would have to give the same kind of list?

This isn't a "men against women" argument. I love watching the male-football dynamic and I recognize and appreciate they make up the backbone of this sport. But it's time to let go of disbelief about females as true fans too.

Pigskin lovin' girls out there, I ask, has this is ever happened to you? You and the boyfriend/husband/brother/guy friend head to a friend's Sunday afternoon party. You're jazzed, you're wearing your team's gear, you can't wait to see your boys take down those lousy so-and-so's. You're ready for a day of hard hits, beautiful passes, exciting turn-overs and the always charming Mr. Hochuli. You walk into the party, you're greeted and while your guy is herded off to the game room, you're directed towards the kitchen with the other girls. What...?

I know I'm not the only female watching. Miz Knotty and I discussed SEC football every Monday last year. I belong to a Football-Along KAL and trust me, football is the discussion way more than yarn. We're out here and we're cheering!

It's time to ring in the changes! Time to say it loud and proud: "I'm female, I watch football, get used to it!" I'm not a cheerleader, I'm not one of those busty blondes in the tight referee costume from a beer commercial. My uniform is a pair of jeans, my team's colors and my heart. Tell the world ladies! I came to play!



And you know what? I do love Peyton Manning in all those commercials.

Labels:

14 Comments:

Blogger Robin said...

AMEN...what more can I say!!!

10:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awesome post! I'm learning more and more about the strategy of the plays and formations. What I hate is that the NFL markets to women who want to look cute in their cutesy jerseys that are pink! Why? I don't own any jerseys but if I do ever buy one it won't be pink and cut like a t-shirt.

I also hate how the pregame shows have eye candy like Jillian Barberie on Fox. I watch the pregame and have just as much knowledge as most guys who watch. Please don't make it all jiggly.

For what it's worth, I married a football player, I was a cheerleader, and I really don't like Ed Hochuli very much.

10:50 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Amen sister! LOL! Loved this comment: "(though I don't care for the Titans owner Bud Adams; he's a bit too Jerry Jones for me)." I'm 3rd generation women football fans in my family. We womenfolk taught our sons to appreciate football. I like both Manning boys, because I remember (vaguely) their Daddy playing and I love seeing the next generation playing now. I've come up with a smart-alek comment when I'm watching a game with men who don't "get" women enjoying the sport. I'll say something like, "Well, I'm just a girl, so I could be wrong but...don't you think....? Most of the guys I know enjoy my enthusiasm for the sport tho, and speak to me in a way that shows they respect I actually know something about it.

11:48 AM  
Blogger Jen said...

Amen! As the only female in a family of Giants season ticket-holders, I got no love for years. My brothers scoffed when I begged to go to games, my dad offered to let me go to a pre-season game (if my uncle's friend at work didn't take the tickets). But then I started playing fantasy football and could really hold my own in conversation explaining why I thought so-and-so was a good bet that week due to such-and-such a defense's weak pass rush.

Suddenly they take me seriously and Dad buys me jerseys for Christmas. And not the girly pink ones, you will never see this girl wearing a pink jersey. It will be big and oversized so that I can wear it over multiple sweatshirts at the game. Because now they actually let me go and listen to me when I comment on a play. Sometimes you have to earn respect. But it's a shame we have to work harder than guys.

12:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

You go girl! I think guys are intimidated by girls who not only like, but understand football. Their masculinity is challenged or something. Of course, my hubby loves having someone to watch the games with him. We can even fight over what games to try to get tickets to! And as a show of love for my DH, I accompanied him to Pittsburgh to watch his dream team Steelers stomp the Jets in the playoff's a few years back...(although I did NOT get my Colts season tickets, or even ONE ticket this year >:-{)

Anyway, CHILL GUYS! We're not gonna take over the bars or anything. The bathrooms are nasty :-) But we just might take you down in fantasy football!

Wanna play???

And by the way, I have a BLUE Manning #18 jersey, and still have my old Troy Aikman jersey, too. (Cowboys fan since I was little)Shame about all those concussions. I'd like to see him play again...

1:06 PM  
Blogger KatieMcG said...

I totally agree! Thanks for stepping up and proving to the world (or blogosphere, or wherever) that women can love football for the game itself! Fellow football-along-er!

3:10 PM  
Blogger Becky G said...

Same here! I grew up watching the Cowboys play football. I remember when the Cowboys played in the Cotton Bowl. I was very young then. :D. I remember Roger Staubach's rookie year. I remember when the term Hail Mary Pass was coined. When my NFL pro shop catalog comes, I skip right over the girly pink jerseys.

True, I don't know all the plays and formations and such, but that's not what I'm in to. I like watching the action, and hearing the crunching of the tackles. I love the long bombs, and when a running back breaks free for 50+ yards.

As for your actual question, no nothing like that has ever actually happened to me. I guess growing up in Texas, where football is a way of life, has its advantages.

4:02 PM  
Blogger JCarson said...

Having known you for a few years--at least--with this post in mind I have to say to the old church refrain "can I get a witness?"

AMEN !!

I need no convincing that you love the game. We talk about it almost every time we talk which is often. And do you hold your own? Boy Howdy do you ever.

Reading the other comments ahead of mine, all I can say is "so many women football fans, so much football; can life get any better?

Answering my own question: I doubt it. Now pass me a beer and turn on the game.

Incidentally, suz knitter is one of the greatest football fans I know, God bless 'er. Very often, she explains the game to me. No embarrassment there--truth is truth.

4:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's USF (not SFU)and yes, they lost last night. I was hoping they would stay second. Oh well...guess that won't happen now.

I guess I've never noticed whether men think I'm a real fan or not. Maybe I just don't get around men who don't already know me as a fan. Hmmmmm...interesting subject to think about though. I'll certainly be paying attention now. LOL

4:21 PM  
Blogger Mistrmi said...

One of my son's favorite "Mom" anecdotes is about one Sunday that found him watching "Pride and Prejudice" (for Keira Knightley) while I was watching the NFL and NASCAR.

Women who love football are real women!!

12:14 PM  
Blogger renee said...

Definitely happens all the time. My brother and I are season ticket holders and we also go out to bars to watch games all the time and people come up and talk to him about the game and never approach me. I know they just assume I'm there to keep him company.

Also, one of my friends from law school was in a fantasy football league with his brother and some of their friends from college and they need some new people. My friend suggested me and his brother was really opposed, unconvinced that I could possibly know what I was doing. I'm currently in first place in the league, I've won the championship once and been in the playoffs at least 3 years besides that. His brother STILL is extra pissed off when I beat him, because he doesn't like getting beat by a girl. But he does keep inviting me back to the league every year :-)

I can understand why your co-worker would be suspicious of the bandwagon jumpers, but you're right, he should have not brought in your gender. Of course, I absolutely adore Peyton! I was so glad for him to get a championship. And of course my hometown hero, Tony Dungey!

Mike Carey is my all time favorite referee!!! I can't stand Ed Hulk-uli, though.

11:39 AM  
Blogger buttercup said...

I was born and raised a Giants fan. Dad had Season Tickets before he met Mom, way back when the Giants played at the Yale Bowl.

I remember asking Dad at the dinner table (when I was a very little kid 4 or 5) if we wanted the guys with the black shirts or white to win (we only had B&W TV).

I've never had the experience you've had with some guy assuming you only watched football for the guys in tight pants. But I think some guys are suprised when I interject a comment into a conversation around the "water cooler". I love when that happens.

I love football. I love having a catch with my nephews. I wear my Manning #10 jersey with pride. But admit that if they had a pink jersey - like the regular ones - with something on it for breast cancer awareness - I'd buy it in a heartbeat (like the pink hat I have).

Sorry about USF girls. But my RU needed that win!

8:40 AM  
Blogger RandomRanter said...

So glad to see the Mike Carey love!

I have pondered this myself. The interesting thing I find is that most people who make the, "Wow, a girl who likes football" comment know a number of 'girls' who like football. I'm not sure what number tips the balance from stereotype to reality.

8:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My family thought it was because I was a tom-boy that I liked football. They just didn't know any other girl childs who did.
Best birthday present I ever got? OK - my first bicycle. But the best one before that? A football.

Not a fake one. Not a "play" one - a REAL one, made of leather. (Which meant I could stop fondling them in stores.)
The other kids didn't have much to say about me being a girl. They had to put up with it because I was the only kid on the block to actually own a football.
And my father took the time to practice with me - even if my fingers weren't quite long enough to properly grip the ball across the laces. We would watch the games quite happily together, and I dreamed of playing.

But sigh... my football playing dreams ended when I reached puberty. There was no way, once my hips started broadening, that I could fit into a pair of those pants.
I figured on hiding my chest under the shoulder pads, but there was no way for my hips to shrink that much.

Janey
janeyknitting AT yahoo DOT ca

10:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home