Neighborknitter

We're not here for a long time; we're here for a good time.

Tuesday, July 25, 2006

A Thief In My Own Home

"A man's character may be learned from the adjectives which he habitually uses in conversation." Mark Twain

There are of course other ways to learn a man's character. Or, more to the point, my character, which it turns out is that of a thief. I'm embarrassed to admit this online, in public, especially as you either know me very well (the shock, you never guessed!) and the rest of you don't know me from Adam and are wondering why you'd read a criminal's blog. I mean, frankly, I'm wondering the same thing about you. Yet there it is, Thief you are Me. No idea until the Apple help technician set me straight on this issue.
Here I was this morning, blog written, trying to upload photos and having one frustrating time staying on the internet. I won't do all the detail (mainly as I don't understand half of it) but basically we have a cable modem, my laptop has an internal router-thingy and we never set up our wireless router because the day the Internet Genies came and installed the modem my internet worked. It was miraculous, I thought, no router, and yet look, my Apple laptop, it is so beautiful, so shiny, so brilliant, as my email springs to life.
Until this last week when the internet went haywire. First, it was ridiculously slow and then no internet at all. Of course, I assumed I angered the Internet Gods (not to be confused with the Genies) and went through necessary attempts to placate them (turning the Internet off, turning the whole computer off, swearing loudly, you know the drill). At some point Hubby suggested, in passing, as we bought the Apple Care Package, why not use the Apple Care Package and call Apple? It's why he's so good at his job; he thinks outside the box.
Of course it was the Apple fellow who helpfully showed me my evil ways. Apparently, through no knowledge of my own (but isn't that what criminals say- I didn't know what I was doing? Or is that the mentally ill? Hmm...) I have been using my neighbor's router to get on the Internet. That's how darned strong this little Apple's internal modem-thingy is. Ashamed and horrified (though not so ashamed and horrified to stop using it for the afternoon until Hubby gets home and locates Netgear router), I stammered my way through an "I'm so ashamed and horrified" apology to the Apple fellow. Who clearly didn't care, and only wanted to sell me an Apple Airport or sparkly Ipod.
Still it's best to learn any unpleasantness about yourself sooner rather than later, isn't it? Some are too controlling, others too judgmental- I steal things. Good to know.
I realize there's been little said or shown about knitting. Here are the pics I wanted so desperately to post before my life of crime was exposed. Let's just hope my neighbor's internet holds out long enough for me to post. And isn't that the point of this blog anyway- we're all neighbors, be us united through yarn on the internet or living side by side and one of us paying $49.95 a month to Time Warner while the other freely uses it? Isn't that what brings us together?
So here, after much time and soul-searching, are my WIPs, the frustration that is my Toe-Up Sock and my green beret.




By the way, my posts usually won't be this long!

1 Comments:

Blogger Ann said...

I love the way the double pointed needles make your sock look like an instrument of torture.
Cool.

9:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home