Neighborknitter

We're not here for a long time; we're here for a good time.

Monday, July 24, 2006

Launch!

Hello All! I'm new to knitting and blogging both, so patience is appreciated! I've recently discovered a new addiction- aside from cozy mysteries, Dave Matthews Band, Harry Potter, writing, and cooking- in the form of knitting and knitting blogs. To feed the beast, I decided to start my own, and this seems to be the results.
After blatantly stealing my blog name from Fannie Flag's Neighbor Dorothy in "Standing in the Rainbow" (one of my top 5) I'm trying to decide what else to post. As a launch, it's probably wise to throw out a few basic thoughts, such as I'm Emily. Hello there, lovely to meet you! I'm Southern by birth (Knoxville, TN) and nature ("oh, no, I'm fine whatever ya'll want is just fine") if not by accent (in the South, I am accentless, everywhere else I am Southern). After a brief, and bizarre decision to head north with the Hubby for his job- Hubby refused to line up with the idea of maintaining two households, one with me in the warm South surrounded by friends and family, him up North in the cold, biting winds of Chicago, with, um, one of our dogs?- we have recently come home, so to speak, to North Carolina. Like home, only better as we're only three hours from the beach.
And, good, better, best, here in NC is where I first discovered knitting! Love, love, love it. I found my own Local Yarn Shop, as the cool kids call them, where I took a beginner's class and then fell into a Thursday night knitter's group.
I am very, very much a beginner. I'm more reminded of that by my recent project, a Toe-Up Sock, which is, well, dubious at best. Until now, I've been sailing along, with a garter-stitch scarf (Mother's day gift to my Mum!), and beginner dishcloths (Mother's Day gift for my other mom, Suz!), then several more dishcloths (all except two have become gifts), and a couple of hats (Birthday gift for my Dad!). However, even with the frustration that is my Toe-Up Sock, this is still where I want to put most of time- often to the detriment of everything else! Except eating. I always find time to eat.
Probably enough for now so I'll stop. Good Lord can I chatter! I doubt I'll usually go on this long, but as this is a launch there is some need for ceremony. So here I am in the world of fiber, just one more knitter, trying to find a simple pattern, a little yarn, and make it honest.
"I am not afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday and I love today." William Allen White

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay what rock have I been living under? Why didn't I know of this blog? Am I really that spaced out most of the time LOL. Okay, okay enough questions.
I think I can now be officially called southern. My heart has always been southern LOL. Now I can say 'bless your/his/her heart,' without blinking twice. Also yesterday at Mcd's when she handed me my unsweet tea (I know, I know an oxymoron after saying I'm officially southern LOL, but I do sweeten it does that count?) the little girl behind the counter said, do you want sweet 'n low or splenda, and I said "y'all have Splenda?" Hubby nearly busted a gut that I said y'all, but it just came out. So am I? (looking at you with hopeful, pleading eyes).

4:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home